Employment Eligibility Verification - I-9
A Message from Lubbock SHRM:
There is a new Form I-9—which has been changed and employers should use beginning Aug. 1, 2023.
It is important to note, that Employers may continue to use the older Form I-9 (Rev. 10/21/19) through Oct. 31, 2023, however, after that date, they will be subject to penalties if they use the older form.
The new version of the Form I-9 includes the following changes:
- Reduces Sections 1 and 2 to a single page, down from two pages.
- Moves the Section 1 Preparer/Translator Certification area to a separate, standalone supplement that employers can provide to employees when necessary.
- Moves Section 3, Reverification and Rehire, to a standalone supplement that employers can print when necessary.
- Revises the Lists of Acceptable Documents page to include some acceptable receipts as well as guidance and links to information on automatic extensions of employment authorization documentation.
- Reduces the form instructions from 15 pages to 8 pages.
- Includes a checkbox allowing employers to indicate they examined Form I-9 documentation remotely with a newly authorized virtual procedure rather than via physical examination.
More information is available HERE.